Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Why Korea? And what am I doing here?

안녕하세요? [annjŏnghasejo] Hello!

Are you wandering how am I doing in South Korea? It's awesome. I love it here and I'm so happy to be here. And if you're asking why am I here, we have to go back to my past. So I will try to explain how I go to South Korea and what am I doing here.

While I was studying in Tomsk, by the way I started to write this blog there, for the first time in my life I started to think about doctoral studies. I learned so much from my professors at TPU in Tomsk and it isn't a well-known or famous school. Changing the environment is sometimes very important and I also knew that the I can't pursue the things which I'm interested in as an PhD student in the Czech Republic. First for my PhD studies I had my eyes on the USA, of course. But American culture isn't really interesting for me. But...

Kpop, kdrama, food etc.

...suddenly I was thrown into the world of Korean series (kdrama) by my sister, later I have found out about Korean pop (kpop) and that is just small step from Korean food and Korean culture in general.

사랑해요 Makychan!
So... how about going to South Korea? After all they lead in the statistics in terms of the number of medical devices per capita according to the World Health Organization, the development in medical physics is huge here (Hello my diploma thesis inspiration! [1, 2]) and hangul is not as complicated as kanji. Of course I had a lot more reasons, but these were probably the ones why I started to think more seriously about doing my PhD in South Korea. Well, but how to get there? What about tuition fees?

Global Korea Scholarship

I have found out pretty fast that there is a scholarhip from Korean government for foreigners who want to get their degree in South Korea. The selection procedure is quite complicated (I won't write about it here, but if someone is interested, I can write another article about this later on). You need to be preapared for lots of  paperwork and for one 15 minutes long interview at the Korean Embassy in Prague. Nowadays they will select two people from the Czech Republic. And by the time I was applying, I knew only hangul. Period. No TOPIK.

After all the hustle I managed to get in, even though I had to extend my master's degree for a horribly long time, I passed the interview and I got in the 2nd round. The NIIED takes all applications that passed the 1st round and sends some of them for the 3rd round which is done by universities of your choice. You can put three universities in to your application form. I wrote there KAIST, SNU and Kyung Hee University. I passed got through this round too and after a moment of hesitation, when I put all + and - on paper -> KAIST was the one! I hope so.


KAIST is located in Daejon, which is approximately 150 km from Seoul. So, why am I in Daegu right now?

Korean Language Program

There is one-year language course for all those students who can't speak Korean even a word (you need to have at least level 5 in TOPIK)! You donť get to choose the institution where you'll be studying Korean language, it is assigned to you by NIIED and you can't change it. So I was sent to Daegu University with other 50 students and now we are trying to learn Korean. They are quite strict about this language program, because if I will not obtain level 3 in TOPIK by August 2020, we have to drop out from the scholarship program.


But so far it looks that I will be able to get there, therefore I should move to Daejon for the next three years where I will be studying Bio and Brain Engineering.

Resources:[1] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1120/jacmp.v11i1.3081

Komentáře

Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Finding an apartment in Daejeon

I have many stories about which I want to write here, be patient. 😁 A lot happened during this winter break. I have been hiking and skiing a few times, I met many new and amazing friends, so even though I couldn't go for Christmas to Czech (especially to see my cute niece Zuzka 😔), I am happy here in Daejeon 😊 I don't really have any interesting photos of our apartment, so I'm sharing some photos from hiking with Oketch, which I haven't shared before.😅 Photo was taken by Oketch, autumn 2020, Daedunsan. But a few weeks ago, I have moved from the dormitory to an apartment with my Indonesian friend Ici. So, I think now it's time to tell you how we found our new apartment. As most of the people I know, we were also using 직방 and 다방 (mobile apps where you can easily look for an apartment). We have started to look for an apartment around the middle of December, knowing that we have to move out in the middle of February. We have seen some dirty and old apartments and al

Getting vaccinated in Korea - 잔여백신 macro

As some of you may know, you can get vaccinated with "Remaining vaccine" (잔여백신) and Kakaotalk or Naver can send you a notification to get this free vaccine. I have been getting notifications for the last few weeks, but I didn't succeed to get this free vaccine, probably because I was always too slow to claim it. But we are in Korea, the country of the newest technologies, so obviously someone wrote a macro for this. 😁 And show some love to my friend Mahdi who helped me to debug this code and gave me all the information I needed for writing this article! He also provided the English version of the macro. Basically, you set up your conditions and let the program search for these remaining vaccines and if it finds one, it will automatically register you for it. IMPORTANT: Don't run the program if you don't have time to get vaccinated on the same day! 1. Open Chrome browser. 2.  Log in to your Kakaotalk account.  Stay Logged In should be ticked. 3. You will see a map

Shady bussiness in Daejeon

I hate buying new things. I love repairing stuff, especially electronics or clothes. But I am horrible at repairing electronics, so I always ask my brothers and sister for help which is a little bit more difficult now, since I live in Korea and they live in the Czech Republic. Still, we try. In August this year, my phone's earphone suddenly stopped working properly. I ordered some new parts from Aliexpress and the same week I replaced it (which didn't help, it was probably a software problem) I crashed the display. Like how stupid you have to be, to just put your phone in a bicycle's basket, and then you're very surprised when your phone literally flies away? Well, I am exactly that stupid 😂 So, I ordered a new display from Aliexpress, but it came kind of broken - one chip was not connected and I didn't manage to connect it successfully. I mean, very delicate precise handwork was never my forte. There's a reason why I didn't become a dentist or surgeon, but